Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Dark Cloud Over the Fashion World: Mayle to Close Up Shop


Last week, designer Jane Mayle announced in WWD that she would be shutting down her decade old namesake line.  The Holiday/Resort Collection, in stores now, will be her final delivery and there will be no Spring 09  Collection. She sited accelerated market dates, promotional pressures as a few of the factors that lead her to make this decision. 

"It seems like a commercial cul-de-sac in a way that the customer gets tired before collections even hit stores," Mayle said. "How I came into this business was all about dreaming and building a wardrobe you would be seduced by. That mystery and remoteness ans insouciance have disappeared from fashion in order to accelerate the product. I feel I have just become another cog in that machinery."

Personally, I am crushed.  I am finally getting close to affording more than a piece a year from her collections and she leaves me!  After cleaning out the NoLita store yesterday, I have been furiously scouring online stores such as Shop Zoe, and La Garconne to scoop up all the product (much of which is on sale!) I can before the final store closing in February.  The lovely girl at the store yesterday assured me that there would be a MAJOR sample sale before the store shutters so get ready for that, but just be sure you stay away from my size!

1 comment:

Rosalie said...

Just wanted to leave a quick 'thanks' for your blog and your posts. I just discovered it today, but I'm enjoying

reading it, and I'll be back again soon.